Amazon

Monday, January 17, 2011

Apples and Trees

So, I live in a fairly rural midwestern area of the United States. This is important, because AT&T does not really offer excellent coverage in the midwest, in my personal opinion, and there is no 3G AT&T network at all in my area - yet, anyway.

There is apparently, however, a Verizon 3G network here.

Now, personally, I have always been a little bit too unemployed (read: poor) to afford either Verizon or AT&T's prices. I personally use a nice little LG phone from Virgin Mobile, which gives me reasonably good coverage at $25/month for unlimited texting and data, as well as 300 voice minutes. No rollover, but given that I never speak on my phone, who cares?

But I have a job now.

Which means disposable income.

Which makes this little announcement pretty sexy.

Verizon is getting the iPhone 4 in February. The prices are relatively similar to AT&T's, only I've always personally disagreed with capping data usage, especially for phones like the iPhone, which is less accurately described as a "phone" and more accurately described as a small computer that also has phone capabilities.

Who knows.

I might just have to eat the four-times-as-expensive monthly bill, not to mention the cost of the phone itself.

You know - once I have a few paychecks to eat it with.

4 comments:

  1. From what I understand, actually using it as a phone is the last thing you want to do. Should work out for you, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. noooo no comment is best. go with the Android that Virgin mobile has and stay cheap and still get wifi(not that you need it with unlimited data) apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh.

    A) Yes, I really probably am not going to use it as a phone.
    B) The Droid does pretty much everything I'd be interested in doing (including Pandora!) so yes, I'm probably going to get the Droid.
    C) Wifi is roughly a billion times faster than even 3G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... D) I have no credit and I shudder to think of the deposit I'd need to stuff into a Verizon account in order to activate. Plus activation fees ... *Shudder*

    ReplyDelete