Amazon

Friday, December 10, 2010

Why Hello There

Well hello there.

My name is Nekhs – or well, it isn’t, you might have guessed that – but we’re just not at the right point in the relationship to give out my name to you.

Let’s see – a little about me. I’m a horrible, horrible World of Warcraft nerd. One of the few female gamer nerds, at that, so one more reason to avoid the whole real name thing, yeah?

Anyway, I’m really not very good at talking about myself, so onward with what I’m going to talk about tonight, which is Archaeology in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Holy crap. This is actually kind of fun.

Archaeology is simple. You train it in one of your faction capital cities, and then you look for shovels on the world map. These are your dig sites.

On the zone map, your dig sites will show up as big, reddish blobs. Go to the big reddish blob and use your new ‘survey’ button. A surveying kit with a telescope and a light will appear. The telescope indicates direction, the light indicates distance. If the light is red, you’re some distance away, if the light is yellow, you’re closer, and if the light is green, you’re practically on top of the artifact.

Archaeology is ultimately a very simple game of hot and cold. It’s remarkably fun, though. At this point I barely care that I’m making things, or what I’m supposed to be making. That is my compulsive side showing, unfortunately – I simply must gather more of these little fragments, and I don’t really care how I get them.

Once you get the fragments, however, you can use them in order to craft items via the archaeology journal. The archaeology journal is rather confusing, but essentially, the bar at the top is your current archaeology level, and when you're viewing a race in your journal, the bar on the bottom is how many fragments you have / how many fragments you require. Clicking the tabs on the right will reveal the races that you have fragments for - once you gather fragments from a race you'll begin a racial project, and once you have enough fragments to complete a project, you can click 'solve' to finish the project out.

Most Archaeology projects at first are gray vendor trash items, but some of them later on yield vanity pets and even bind to account epics. I want that fossilized raptor hatchling, but I expect the hunt for it will take weeks at least, especially since I'm lazy.

Archaeology alone has brought fun back to my World of Warcraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment